To Ensure Public Safety, Senator Silverstein sponsored or supported:
- Gun Control Legislation | SB1657 | Restricts sale and resale of guns by expanding licensing requirements. Numerous other pieces of legislation to restrict FOID cards, restrict sale of certain types of guns and ammunition.
- Cyberstalking | HB3711 | Specifies the crime of cyberstalking which includes intimidation, stalking, transmission of obscene messages. It labels as possible hate crimes and creates a civil penalty for hate crimes.
- Criminal Justice Reform | SB1722 | Comprehensive criminal justice reforms-tougher sentencing for repeat gun offenders.
- Child Sex Abuse and Domestic Battery | SB189 | Protects victims of sexual assault by removing the statute of limitations for sex crimes committed against children.
To Improve Working Conditions, Senator Silverstein sponsored or supported:
- Increase Minimum Wage | SB0081 | Establishes a schedule for the raising of the State minimum wage over the next few years.
- Equal Pay Act | HB2462 | Modified act that assures that individuals are paid based on merit and performance by excluding prior pay requirements or inquires.
- Prevailing Wage | HB3044 | Preserves the requirement to collect data and report, and make sure wages are paid accordingly.
- Paid Sick Leave | HB2771 | Requires employers to provide specified paid sick days to employees.
To protect Our Rights, Senator Silverstein sponsored or supported:
- Trust Act | SB31 | Prevents use of local police to deport undocumented residents. Makes Illinois a Sanctuary State.
- Student Loan Bill of Rights | SB1351 | Creates the student loan Bill of Rights, which prohibits loan servicers from engaging in any unfair or deceptive practices toward any borrower or cosigner.
- Victims Right Protection | HB4266 | Strengthens laws that protect the privacy of crime victims and improves on protections supported earlier by Senator Silverstein.
- Foster Children’s Bill of Rights | HB3542 | Provides that it is the policy of the State that every child and adult in the care of the Department of Children and Family Services who is placed in foster care shall have the right to be placed in the least restrictive and most family-like setting available.
- Establish Long Term Ombudsman | SB0798 | Expands the Long-Term Care Ombudsman program previously passed by Senator Silverstein to cover seniors over 60 without disabilities and those under with.
To Enhance Education, Senator Silverstein sponsored or supported:
- Education Funding Reform | SB1 | Changes the manner in which State funding to schools is determined to one that is based on performance.
- Elected School Board in Chicago | HB1774 | Establishes that in 2019 Chicago will elect a school board with 20 locally elected representatives.
- School Construction/Renovation Fund | SB1479 | Established a program to assist local school construction by providing State funding, eliminating the need to increase property taxes for renovation and construction.
- College Credit Transfer Assurance | HB2404 | Mandates that courses taken at a Community College be transferred to a four-year institution.